Southwest Barley Salad with fresh Tomatoes
|Prep time||15 minutes|
|Cook time||15 minutes|
|Total time||30 minutes|
|Meal type||Salads, Side Dish|
|Misc||Pre-preparable, Serve Cold|
|Occasion||Barbecue, Casual Party|
- 1 1/2 cup uncooked barley
- 1 1/2 cup sweet corn kernels ((If using canned, drain first))
- 1 pint grape tomatoes (cut in half lengthwise)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4-5 stalks green onions (sliced thin)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- juice of three limes
- 1 1/2 cup cooked black beans ((if using canned, drain first))
- 1 teaspoon Chalula sauce
- 1 teaspoon himalayan pink salt
- 1 tablespoon robust variety extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Medium avocado (chopped)
- additional cilantro, onion and lime wedges to garnish
- 1/2 Medium jalapeno (chopped)
If you want to make this a light main dish, add diced rotisserie chicken or cooked shrimp. To keep it vegetarian, use tofu.
And how did the family feel about this dish? They loved it! Since they usually request the Corn and Black Bean Salsa for summer parties, I had a feeling they would be OK with this side dish. It was light, healthy and had some amazing southwest style flavor. I think the lime and cilantro were the winners with this recipe too.
To see past challenges and the ingenious recipes our Crazy Ingredient Chefs have come up with, follow my Pinterest board. Follow Lori’s Culinary’s board Crazy Ingredient Challenge on Pinterest.
If you make this refreshing barley salad, take a photo & share it to Instagram and tag me (@lorisculinarycreations) & use my hashtag #LorisCulinaryCreations. I want to see your creations!