“I am participating in a VIN campaign for California Dried Plums. I am receiving a fee for posting; however, the opinions expressed in this post are my own. I am in no way affiliated with California Dried Plums and do not earn a commission or percent of sales.”
This past May, I turned 52 years old. How the half century mark crept up on me, I do not know. But, now that it has, it seems that Osteoporosis commercials are all over the TV or I’m just noticing it thanks to my age. But, did you know that California Dried Plums have many health and bone benefits? With October 20th being World Osteoporosis Day, I’m paying close attention.
California Dried Plum Benefits
- Eat a daily serving of dried plums (prunes).
- Dried plums help support healthy bones which is necessary to prevent osteoporosis.
- Research suggests that eating two servings, (about 100grams or 10 to 12 dried plums), may improve bone mineral density (BMD) and slow the rate of bone turnover in post-menopausal women.
- New research shows eating half that amount, just slightly more than one serving, about 50 grams or 5 to 6 dried plums), may help maintain bone loss in post-menopausal women.
- Vitamin K helps improve calcium balance and promotes bone mineralization. A 40gram serving of dried plums (4-5 prunes; about 100 calories) is considered an excellent source of Vitamin K, which provides 30% of the 80mcg Daily Value.
How can you improve your own bone health? Incorporating California dried plums as a regular part of nutritious food choices may support healthy bones, which is important to me. And, they contain vitamins and minerals such as potassium, copper, boron and vitamin K which may have bone protective effects. They’re a great snack and they taste good too.
- One standard serving (4–5 dried plums) is about 100 calories. Additionally, each serving provides 3 g of fiber (and is considered a good source of fiber), 293 mg of potassium, 16 mg of magnesium and more vitamin K than any other fresh or dried fruit.
- Dried plums are naturally cholesterol-free.
- The California Dried Plum is a unique product, grown and harvested naturally and exclusively in the golden state.
- Dried Plums promote digestive health.
- Dried plums may help manage weight through improved satiety perhaps by producing lower glucose and/or appetite-regulating hormone concentrations.
So California Dried Plums have some amazing health benefits, don’t you think? Plums are a naturally sweet, convenient and nutrient-dense snack and a versatile culinary ingredient. They’re great in recipes or just by themselves. For lots of recipe ideas, visit the California Dried Plums Culinary Website.
Remember, today is World Osteoporosis Day so share this post and let’s raise awareness of the benefits of California Dried Plums.
“I am participating in a VIN campaign for California Dried Plums. I am receiving a fee for posting; however, the opinions expressed in this post are my own. I am not affiliated with California Dried Plums and do not earn a commission or percent of sales.”