Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Skillet
If you’re the type of person who shops at Whole Foods, or if you found yourself chuckling at the recent “It’s a Quee-No” Bud Light commercial, chances are you have heard about the superfood that is taking America by storm, Quinoa (which, by the way, is pronounced, “Keen-Wa”). In spite of what the humorous Bud Light ad might suggest, quinoa is a delicious ancient Andean plant that is considered a superfood due to the fact that it has zero carbs, it is gluten free, it is associated with increasing energy and fighting disease, and it is a complete protein containing all nine essential amino acids.
Whether you’re new to quinoa or just looking for new and interesting ways to work the superfood into your diet, the following recipe is perfect for you!
- 1.5 cups of quinoa, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt
- 1 10 ounce undrained can of Ro*Tel® Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- 1 cup of chopped celery
- 1/3 cup of buffalo wing sauce or cayenne pepper sauce
- 1/3 cup of reduced fat chunky blue cheese dressing
- Cook the quinoa according to the directions on its packaging.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken to the skillet and sprinkle it with garlic salt. Cook the chicken for 3 to 5 minutes or until outside is lightly browned and the inside is no longer pink.
- Add undrained Ro*Tel tomatoes and chopped celery to the skillet. Cook the mixture for 2 to 3 additional minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add buffalo wing sauce to the skillet mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the cooked quinoa to the skillet mixture and stir to combine.
- Top each serving with a dollop of chunky blue cheese dressing.
Note: You can tell when the quinoa is done cooking as the seeds will look like they’re growing tiny curly tails. These are the germs of the seeds and they separate slightly from the seeds when cooked.
This is a guest post on behalf of Ro-Tel Tomatoes. Thank you for contributing this wonderful recipe.