I love baked sweet potatoes and sweet potato fries. So very good and lighter then a russet or even red potatoes. I was searching for a good sweet potato casserole recipe and most of them online (I’d say about 80%) call for mashing the potatoes. That wasnt’ going to cut it for me for a casserole. After looking all over through my Cook’n Recipe Software, I created the following that was suitable for myself and wound up to be quite tasty.
3 sweet potatoes (peeled and sliced)
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
1/4 cup low fat margarine
1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
12 ozs miniature marshmallow
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. I prefer Pam butter flavor for this dish as it enhances the flavor.
3. In a skillet melt the butter and blend in the brown sugar until dissolved. Add margarine, cinnamon and nutmeg.
4. Layer the potatoes in a 9×13 baking dish. Pour the brown sugar mix over the potatoes, then cover and bake for 45 minutes. If you sliced your potatoes thick, add 10-15 minutes depending on thickness. i sliced mine with my Pampered Chef Mandolin set on the thinner cut, so 45 minutes was enough
5. Sprinkle the miniature marshmallows over the top and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) until golden brown.
I served it with pork BBQ ribs and it was a perfect combination. The sweetness of the potatoes was the perfect pairing with the tangy flavor of BBQ and my husband was just thrilled. In fact, here’s his dessert: Sweet Potato Parfait