Mom’s Baked Hot Dogs with Beans

by Lori Hart on August 29, 2013

When I was a kid, my mom would make hot dogs for my sister and I. It wasn’t just a dog in a bun, but it was cheesy baked hot dogs with pork and beans. My sister and I loved this and requested this often. She would cut the dogs down the middle and insert ooey gooey cheddar cheese which would melt and be so good when cooked. It’s a traditional “mom dish” that we make as we grew up and had our own kids, nieces and nephews. I loved it so much I wanted to share it with you so you can make this kid friendly delicious dish at home. I did modify mom’s recipe a bit by adding bacon and brown sugar.

Ingredients
1 large can of pork & beans or baked beans
4 strips of bacon cooked and chopped
3 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
4 all beef hot dogs
4 ounces of cheddar cheese

For nutrition information, click the magic button

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Mix the beans, bacon and brown sugar and place in a glass baking dish.

Slice each hot dog down the center, but not all the way through.
Insert an equal amount of cheese in each dog
Place the dogs in the baking dish on top of the beans

Bake in the oven 25 minutes until the cheese is all nice and melty.

These are so good and your kids will love this cheesy new take on baked hot dogs. For the little ones, you can cut it into bite sized cheesy pieces they can easily pick up with their hands. Serve with your favorite side dish. We had some garlic bread and a side salad.

I hope you enjoy my mom’s baked hot dogs recipe. It’s been a hit in our family for years. Do you have an easy family recipe? Share below in the comments.

Featured on Dessert Now, Dinner Later’s Sweet & Savory Saturdays September 14, 2013

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Alison Moore Smith August 30, 2013 at 7:04 pm

My mom used to make something like this, but used creamed corn as the base instead of pork and beans. Loved it. Occurs to me you could also use chili. :)
Alison Moore Smith recently posted…What About Socialization? The Perpetual (and Inane) Homeschooling QuestionMy Profile

Stephanie August 30, 2013 at 8:39 pm

My husband always puts a slice of cheese on his hotdog and when we were dating I thought it was very strange, but this looks pretty yummy!
Stephanie recently posted…Easy 2 Minute OmeletMy Profile

Kathleen Clegg August 30, 2013 at 11:39 pm

I make hot dogs like this on occasion, but I never thought of adding the beans. My grandsons love the beans. I think I will make this the next time they spend the night!
Kathleen Clegg recently posted…Fresh Tomato SauceMy Profile

Paula@SweetPea August 31, 2013 at 10:39 am

My mom loved her hotdog with cheese and I always thought it was strange. Now I think it sounds great. Your recipe is one that I’d gobble up in no time!!
Paula@SweetPea recently posted…The Best Foods for Body and BrainMy Profile

Sher September 2, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I’d never seen this kind of recipe before, but it looks delish! Can’t wait to try it.
Sher recently posted…Travel Size CPAP – Sexy On the GoMy Profile

Amber @ Dessert Now, Dinner Later! September 9, 2013 at 9:28 pm

My kids might like the cheese slice inside. Never seen this before, but it totally goes well together! Thanks for sharing at Sweet & Savory Saturdays #29.

~Amber @ DessertNowDinnerLater.com
Amber @ Dessert Now, Dinner Later! recently posted…Accessories Package Giveaway!My Profile

Jen Nikolaus September 13, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Oh my stars. Just saw your feature at Dessert Now, Dinner Later link party and had to click. These hot dogs look like heaven. My boys would love me if I made these for them! My mom has a hot dog recipe (an easy stovetop BBQ hot dogs) that they ask me to make all the time, and I’m totally sick of, so I’m doubly excited to try yours! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! Pinning!

~Jen @ Yummy Healthy Easy